2-1-1 is an easy to remember telephone number that connects callers, at no cost, to information about critical health and human services available
in their community.
2-1-1 reaches approximately 196 million people (over 65% of the total U.S. population) in 41 states and the District of Columbia, however, millions
of Americans still need to be connected. America needs 2-1-1 to be accessible nationwide.
The United Ways of New Hampshire (UWNH), a group of ten New Hampshire United Ways, has collaborated with five comprehensive Information and
Referral (I&R) agencies in the State of New Hampshire to obtain ownership of the 2-1-1 number from the Public Utilities Commission. The initiative is
also being supported by United Way of America and the Association for Information and Referral Services (AIRS).
UWNH has attained a leadership role in NH 2-1-1 by retaining a part-time project coordinator, committing to financially support a significant
portion of the initial operating costs and working with state officials and private foundations to secure additional funds.
Here are some of the ways 2-1-1 reduces costs for employers, taxpayers and government:
- Time is saved for families and individuals through a one-stop call center.
- The need for public assistance is decreased because of timely connection with appropriate intervening services.
- Reduction in non-emergency calls to 9-1-1.
- Reduction in new 1-800 numbers funded by government.
- Planning information for cities, counties, and nonprofits informed by data collection of call volume and types of services requested.
- A communication network for information in changes about government and local programs.
- Cost avoidance for businesses and state agencies of misdirected calls for services.
The 2-1-1 NH Information and Referral Service began pilot operations in November 2007. Residents in New Hampshire can contact 2-1-1 NH toll-free by
dialing 1-866-444-4211. A website with searchable database is also available at www.211nh.org
2-1-1 NH staff anticipates that residents will be able to connect to 2-1-1 NH by dialing 2-1-1 from landlines by May 2008. Complete access, via
the 2-1-1 dialing code from landlines and cell phones, is expected to be complete by the end of 2008.
2-1-1 NH is an initiative of the United Ways of New Hampshire in partnership with Public Service Company of New Hampshire. It is also sponsored
by the Citizens Bank Foundation, Exeter Hospital, New Hampshire Charitable Foundation and the State of New Hampshire.